Friday, February 1, 2008

Beginnings




Before I get in to some photos of my latest carvings, I thought some background might be in order. I was graduated from the School of the Museum of Fine Arts in the early nineties after studying printmaking and drawing. I don't have much left from that time of decent quality, so I thought I'd share a scan of this miniature I did a few years afterwards. I've always done small scale work- partly out of economic and spatial necessity, but also because I think it's within my temperament. Never was comfortable with six foot canvases and sweeping statements. There was a period when I did quite a few of these miniature gouaches which gradually evolved into contemporary themes, mixed with older Persian and Mughal styles. Some abstractions. This one's still up for grabs.

I hardly do any painting these days...should get back to it.

No comments: